Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you are trying to eat a healthy breakfast there are only so many egg whites you can eat. I’ve been on the search for quick healthy recipes and here is one that I found on a food blog which has quickly become a favorite. I don’t like cooked oatmeal as a cereal so I’m always happy to find other ways to eat it.
Despite being flour less and gluten free these pancakes have a great texture and my children couldn’t distinguish them from regular pancakes. The banana can easily be left out without changing the results.
Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Banana Pancakes
- 1/2 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1/4 cup fat free (or low-fat) cottage cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Optional add-ins:
- Fresh berries, chocolate chips, peanut butter
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium low heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Add desired toppings such as chocolate chips or blueberries. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more cooking spray and remaining batter. Makes 3-4 pancakes.
*Notes – I don’t use almond milk so I threw in a little 2%. I also didn’t use cinnamon.